Thursday, November 7, 2013

Freshman Survey

For my project I decided to take a survey of all the freshmen in school and see what is going through their heads. The questions I chose were because I had been wondering about what the answers were. I wanted to know what the kids in the school thought of the iPads and the lunches, the last questions were just for fun and I wanted to see how the freshmen handled some questions that were not what was to be expected. It took me about a week to come up with the questions, make the survey, send the survey out and get the responses. My first plan was to go to all of the seminar rooms and have the freshmen take it on paper, then I went high-tech and decided to have them take it on their iPad's. I sent the survey out in a email to all of the freshmen in school on Friday and waited over the weekend for the results.

Of the one hundred and fifty freshmen only 78 responded. Once the results were in I compiled them and took a random, cluster, convenience and nonrandom samples, then I compared the results to each of the samples and then to the results of the whole survey. The data I got back showed that some of the bad ways of sampling had the most accurate data, however that could have been a fluke: it is possible to get good data with a bad sample, but it is not likely to happen. The point of this survey was to compare the results of all of the different types of samples, and to answer some questions that I had been wondering about for a while. I have not confirmed which is better Xbox or PS 3, so I will need to create further surveys to confirm my results, and why I got the results I did for this survey.

I can now confirm that the freshmen class likes the iPad's overall, and that the freshmen are indifferent about school lunches. Some things I learned from working on this survey are that, freshmen are lazy even when it comes to taking a two minute survey, that even the worst samples can give the most accurate data (but not very often), and I also learned that it takes a lot of work to set up and send out a survey and then compile the results I got back.


No comments:

Post a Comment