In the first quarter of stats I did a few projects. The main project that I worked on was my Class Improvement Project. The goal of this project was to try to figure out why a lot of people got a bad grade on the module six test (hypothesis testing), and how to fix that. I started off by entering the test data into spreadsheet, figuring out what people struggled with, and how to teach that. For the most part students struggled with what a p-value was and how to explain it in context. I then researched different ways and methods to teach p-value and used the information I learned to make a short presentation explaining what a p-value is. The other part of the test that students did poorly on was remembering when to use symbols, such as mu and p-hat. So I made a review of Module 4 to help refresh their memory.
I learned how to explain information better, and figured out how to analyze data better. I think that the process that I went through to figure out what students struggled with worked well, but probably was not the most efficient. If I had more time to work on this project I would like to try to teach students, who have worked through Module 5 in this stats program, how to use p-value using the presentation that I created. I would then analyze their test data with the test data of my class. However, p-value is only part of Module 6 so they would still have to learn the rest of module 6 before taking the test. The most difficult part of this project was trying to remember why it was that I did not understand p-value and how it was that I learned what it was. If I remembered what it was that finally made p-value "click" then it would have saved me a lot of time and effort.
Overall I think that I did very well on this project and obtained very good results. I created a different explanation of what a p-value is then what Mr. Pethan originally taught us. I think that more data needs to be obtained to figure out if this new approach to p-value actually helps students understand p-value better.
This is the Presentation that I made