Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Stats Infographic Project

This quarter in statistics, my favorite project was the infographic one. This was our first big project of the class and for my group we had to go out and collect data of HVL band students from a quiz we generated. The point of this project was to select a population, design questions, collect the data, analyze the data, graphically display it,and present it as a story. 

The part that was most difficult about was collecting data from other schools because we had to converse with them. If I could make things easier, I would sample students from just Byron. Unfortunately, this would make the results somewhat biased. The part I found most interesting was the results that we got. I didn't think people actually practiced their instruments but a surprising amount do. I liked that we got opinions from other schools but at the same time I found it difficult to talk to them and explain why we needed them to take our survey. 

Our biggest source of confusion was that students practice an average of 1-3 hours a week. This could be confused because some students might be required to practice while others may not. The margins of error are large because our sampled group might not have been accurate. We could have selected a bunch of students that just really like band, when not all students do. You could improve this by taking a larger sample. If you were a part of a big experiment, you would need accurate results if they depended on something bigger, such as something in the medical field that could depend on your life. 

After a lot of revision, I think it was worth it because our end product was excellent. I am proud of our end product because we spend a good amount of time in Photoshop revising the color scheme and now it is a lot easier to read. If I were to give advice to future students, I would tell them to get their colors and data right the first time so they don't have to revise it so much in the end. Make sure the colors go well together and make the graphs visually appealing and easy to read. 

In my group, it worked well that we were all in band because it was easy to get our results on the day of the clinic. The most frustrating part was communication. We found it difficult to divide up the work so that we all had something to do. After getting more comfortable with the group, we were able to discuss our plans better which made our final product the best. The feedback activity helped because we realized the things we needed to fix and from that point we were successful. 

During this project I learned that communication is key. In order to get accurate results, you need to sample a large group of people. This sample must be random to avoid bias. I like working in groups because then we didn't have to do all of the work ourselves. At first, we had a hard time choosing who did what, but in the end it all worked out because we got 100% on the project. I would still prefer to choose my group because we get along better. I think it was helpful that some of us have strengths and weaknesses. For example, they were better at using the computer to display our visuals. I was better at making the charts and making them visually appealing. Together, the combination of our strengths and weaknesses worked well together. I think the skills we learned in class helped make this presentation good. This project was useful because we learned how to apply what we learned to the project. I think these two things worked well together to make a successful product. I've attached the final product below. 

No comments:

Post a Comment