Thursday, January 22, 2015

Cory Wentland's Stats Blog

   
Coffee + Donuts = Statistics 

       I was not sure what to expect when I signed up for statistics, but I am pleased with my decision to take this class.  We did a lot of projects that helped me learn more about statistics, and how to apply it in the world.  My favorite project I did was make a display of graphs and information my group collected on the choice of coffee and food items of customers at Dunkin' Donuts.  I liked being able to use one of our hybrid days to go to Dunkin' Donuts with my group members, Erika and Christina, to collect data.  We were at Dunkin' Donuts from 9:45-10:30 a.m. collecting data from 30 customers, with the consent of the manager.

       This was our survey:



       After we collected data from each individual survey, we plugged them into a Google Docs Spreadsheet.  The spreadsheet allowed us to observe trends and possible correlations.  The spreadsheet also displayed different graphs that we could use as references when making more personalized graphs for our final assignment.  All of the data that we used was based off of a 95% confidence interval.  When we started this assignment, confidence intervals were still very new to us.  This project made confidence intervals much more clear to me, and my team's data and work proved to be a good reference to look back to whenever I became stumped on how to use other information in this course.

       My favorite part of this assignment was designing the page.  I learned a lot about computer design and how to make things visually appealing.  Our group decided to make the design of our page look like a Dunkin' Donuts coffee and donuts shop; complete with customers, a menu, and other realistic details.

       This is our final project:

       Overall, I am very happy with this project, even though it took us a long time to complete.  This project did not only help me with statistics, but it also allowed me to get comfortable with talking to strangers, acting professional,  getting things done in a timely manner, and it got me a free dark roast coffee.  I also became very passionate with the webpage design.  I am a perfectionist, so details were my main hindrance when it came to getting this project done on time.  I would do this project again, if given the chance; for it was not only enjoyable, but it also increased my knowledge and understanding tremendously.  This class has been very beneficial to me, and projects like this one are what helped me learn and grow.  

No comments:

Post a Comment